The natural materials such as wool, cotton and horsehair in a Vispring mattress are designed to complement the springs and follow the contours of your body. These fillings will settle over time to adapt to your body shape. You can help the fillings settle evenly by regularly rotating and flipping your mattress. We usually recommend every three months, or each change of season, but you can do it more or less frequently depending on your preferences.
Important: It takes at least two strong people to flip a king size mattress. If you ever need help, please contact us so we can send someone out to help.
Steps for flipping your mattress:
- Important: Remove any breakable items from the area before flipping, like lamps and other fragile items on nightstands, or artwork at the head of the bed.
- Slide the mattress about one quarter of its length away from the wall or headboard, and then rotate it clockwise for 90 degrees.
- Continue to slide the mattress towards the foot end of the divan until it is at least about half off the base.
- If you have sufficient room in your bedroom, lay a sheet on the floor and take the mattress completely off the base. Otherwise, keep the mattress on the divan.
- Lift the side of the mattress that is off the base until the mattress is resting on vertically on its other side.
- As gently as possible, allow the mattress to fall back onto the divan towards the head end.
- Then once again rotate the mattress clockwise for 90 degrees, and center it on the divan.
- Flipping complete!
Rotating your mattress:
If you have a single tension Vispring, you can both flip and rotate your mattress.
If you and your partner have a dual tension mattress and like sleeping on the same side of the mattress each night (yes, like most couples we have our established side of the bed), then you will only want to flip your mattress. You can rotate the mattress, but then you and your partner would have to switch sides until the next flip.
Here is a sample schedule for flipping and rotating your mattress; this schedule alternates rotating with flipping so that all parts of the mattress get used.
At 3 months, rotate your mattress 180 degrees.
At 6 months, flip your mattress.
At 9 months, rotate your mattress 180 degrees.
At 12 months, flip your mattress. After this step, you will have used all sides of the mattress and it will be returned to your day 1 position.
Keep a journal or makes notes on a piece of paper about the date of each rotation or flip and whether you rotated the mattress or flipped it.
More tips can be found on Vispring’s website: Caring for your Bed
“Properly maintained, your Vispring bed will last a lifetime. Follow these simple steps to ensure it provides you with many years of faithful service.”